Wednesday, May 29, 2013

May 1-9, 2013,  Paradise Village Marina, Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico

I made my way from the airport to the hotel.  Identified myself to the marina office and got a key.  Let myself onto Rhapsody.  It is really nice to be home again.  I am surprised that it now feels like home, but it does.  Peaceful.  Alan has left it all clean for me.  I mix myself a margarita and sit out on the back deck in the dusk. 

Paradise Village is part of a huge hotel, condo complex complete with lush landscaping, several restaurants, shops, 3 swimming pools, a spa,  There is a shopping plaza just up the street and a market.  This is a far cry from La Cruz with its dusty streets and local produce sold out of the back of trucks.    We are miles from the city surrounded by other hotels and apartment complexes.  It could be any hotel anywhere.  It certainly does not seem like we are in Mexico.  The pool has a full schedule of “activities”  with very cheerful and energetic young staff members to encourage everyone to participate.  Luckily the marina is on the other side of the hotel where it is much quieter. 

I have 5 days until Alan gets back, actually 4 because he will be back on the 5th and I know that he wants to leave as soon as possible after he gets back.  One day is spent on a bus ride to one of the giant supermarkets to stock up on provisions.  One day is spent getting everything put away again.  One day is devoted to the spa, steam, jacuzzi, shower, sauna, repeat.  No charge for “members” which I apparently am.  I am not sure what I am a member of since they never asked me for any ID but I am not objecting.

Two days I work on painting the boat.  There are still some bits of the white trim that I never finished but the big project is the deck.  It has a thick layer of some kind of non-skid paint which is coming off in great chunks.  Besides looking awful, it is becoming a safety hazard because it is very slippery where it has come off.  I know Alan has some non-skid paint because he used it on the hatch covers.  I am not sure how much is left.  It is very expensive and has to be ordered from New Zealand or somewhere.  But it does need to be done and this is as good a time as any.  When I find the can, it is not really paint but some kind of thick plastic goop.  The directions say to put it on with a spatula and then roll it out.  Once I get the hang of it, it is not too hard although it is not as thick as what was there before you it does not really hide the bald spots.  I had planned to just do a small section but once I get started I just keep going.  By the time I am finished I have used up the whole can and painted the entire back deck and most of the foredeck.  It looks lovely.  All of the chips and stains and holes are gone.  I wish I had another can. so I could finish the job.  but like I said, it has to be ordered from New Zealand.

Alan arrives with 3 enormous bags of stuff.  It takes several days, but finally everything is stowed.   One last trip to the spa and we are ready to go.  We have checked the weather, plotted a course, said good-bye to friends.  We are heading south.  Another boat, Emerald Lady,  was going to join us but ran into engine problems and will not be ready to leave for at least another month so we are on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment