Thursday, May 30, 2013

Adventures with the AIS, or Mysterious Doings in the Night.

It is dark, no moon.  We are sailing south along the coast of Mexico just off the port of Manzanillo dodging container ships.  One ship in particular off the port bow is brightly lit and seems to be heading our way.  When I come on for my watch, Alan has been watching it for an hour or two and cannot seem to pass it.  When I check the AIS I realize that it is not moving.  It is just sitting there.  However, there is another boat moving up behind it.  Coming from the south at 20 knots, it is listed as a 60 foot pleasure ship.  It looks like it is headed straight for the cargo ship and straight for us after that.  I watch the screen fascinated waiting for the explosion.  Who will blink first.   On the screen it looks like they pass within a hair’s breath of each other.  Then, the cargo ship suddenly starts to move.  It is listed as heading for Manzanillo, but it turns and heads south, away from the port, gradually picking up steam.  What just happened?  Did I just see a drug drop?  Surely drug runners would not use ships that were all lit up and broadcasting their position.  The pleasure boat has disappeared off the screen while the cargo ship keeps on south, speed up to 15 knots now.  This puts it back on a parallel course to us, just when I was hoping to pass it.  After another hour, it slows again and begins another slow turn.  OK, maybe it is just stalling for time until dawn.  I guess I will never know.  All very mysterious and good for keeping me awake during the long night watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment