Monday, October 29, 2012

Oct 25, Thursday

Today we need to measure again for our new sail.  It is being made for us by Carol Hasse in Port Townsend Washington and she needs more measurements from the top of the mast.  This time she stays on the phone with us while we get her what she needs. 

Once that is done, it is time to see if I can find the leak on the deck that is causing all the cans of food to rust.  There is a cabinet right above the ice box where all the canned goods are stored.  Even though everything has been caulked and painted it still gets damp and all of the cans are rusting.  So all the food has to come out, just when I had almost gotten the cabin cleaned up, table and counter are once again piled high with stuff.  Once the cupboard is empty and clean and dry, I get a bucket and start throwing water at the corner on the outside.  No leak.  I throw more water, still nothing.  I throw water from the top and the sides and all around.  Still nice and dry on the inside.  Now what?  Since Alan is going to be running wires through that corner today, I decide to leave everything and go to the spa.  Several hours later I am warm, relaxed and glowing.

I make one last try to find the leak after dinner.  With all the lights off, we shine a bright light on the outside to see if we can see the hole.  Nothing.  I give up.  Of course the wiring project is not done so all of the food has to stay out for one more day.  At least it is a good chance to see what we have to eat.  I make up a list of meals for 10 days using the oldest cans first.  By this time we get to Cabo we should have eaten our way through most of it and if we hit any rough weather we will find out for sure if there really is a leak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment