Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fiji week 2

Oct 20-26, 2014, Vuda Point, Fiji, Week 2


The big boat project tis week is the electrical system.  We have had trouble with the batteries not holding a charge ever since Mexico.  Almost everything electrical has shorted out or stopped working because of exposure to water.  You would think things for boats would be really waterproof and immune to salt water corrosion, but NO.  All of the solar stopped working due to messed up wiring.  There is a tangle of wiring inside the food cupboard (which leaks) and several of the wires don't go any place but Alan does not want to just take them out until he figures where everything is supposed to go.   And on our last day out we fried the charging system. 

Once we got a electrician in to look at things we made an interesting discovery.  The new batteries which we bought in Tahiti were supposed to be sealed batteries, which means that you don’t need to be sure they have water in them to work.  When he looked at them he realized that they were actually lead acid and completely dry.  It is amazing that they worked at all, and good that we do not rely on all of those fancy electronic systems that most newer boats have.  The batteries were removed and taken off to be tested, with not much hope of success.   Sure enough they were dead.  Several days later the proper new batteries were delivered and installed and we also got a step down inverter so that we can plug into shore power any place in the world.  (one more thing to store)

This is Diwali week so I decided to treat myself to a day on the town while Alan messed with batteries.   On the bus all of the school kids were dressed to the max in their Diwali clothes, sparkling and bejeweled, beautiful saris for the little girls and lovely embroidered shirts for the boys.  I was sorry I had not brought my camera.  Downtown the stores are full of fireworks, lights and wonderful clothes, everything on sale.  First order of business is a spa treatment, manicure, pedicure, facial, etc.  After so long on the boat my body needs to be pampered.  It was lovely.  2.5 hours of self indulgent bliss.  Feeling refreshed and ready, i headed for the shops to find myself a sari.  I an not willing to pay $200-$300 but hopefully I can find one on sale.  It is silly since I will probably not wear it much and have nowhere to put it on the boat but they are so lovely I just can’t resist.  After several delightful hours of wandering from shop to shop I finally spot the perfect one on a sale table, black with red and gold trim.  Perfect and only $50 Fijian  that is $30US.  The sales girl showed me how to wrap it and as soon as i got home I stitched the pleats in place and add a button to hold it.  No wardrobe malfunction for me.   Another store provided bargain jewelry and stick on sparkly tattoos. and then on more outfit also on sale.  This one a tunic and pants.  Feeling great, I actually managed to find the right bus back to the Marina.  The bus station is a chaotic mess with dozens of busses coming and going, engines running, horns honking and people shouting.  Everyone I asked gave me different information but eventually I found the right bus.

Back at the Marina, boats are coming and going.  Little by little those that are heading for New Zealand for the summer are taking off and those that are going to stay are settling in.  We are saying good bye to lots of old friends.  The marina and the hotel next door put on a wonderful fireworks show for Diwali and the restaurant prepared a special menu.   A few more odd jobs are getting done on the boat. Mostly we are just relaxing.  This is the first time since we left home that we have not had deadlines and projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment